Friday, September 14, 2007

Real Friends

Everyone has something to say about who their REAL friends are. I've never had many REAL friends. I've had a whole butt-load of fakes, users, and the occasional abuser. The very few real friends I have had have either moved or I very rarely get to see them anymore, because I move too much.

My first real friend I obtained in elementary school. Her name was Cassie. She was a lot like me back then. We were both outcasts. She was because her parents were poor. Me, because I was fat. She moved when I was in 6th grade, to Manassas. It was really weird though, because I ended up finding her through one of my boyfriend's friends after high school. The world was so tiny then. She barely recognized me, because I got so tall and I wasn't fat anymore. She wasn't doing very well, pretty deep in the drug scene, and I haven't seen her since. I've always wondered if she's still living.

Another friend I really miss is Leah. She moved to Illinois during the summer of our 9th grade year. She was really cute, but everyone made fun of her because of her last name. She must've heard everything from Bugger to Booger. She dated my daughter's father, Mike, for a little while. That didn't help matters much. He wasn't exactly the cutest monkey in the bunch. As a matter of fact, his given nickname was Booger, mostly because he looked like one. LOL. Leah and I lived pretty close together so we'd see each other all the time. I've spent a few happy birthdays with her. I just wonder if she still remembers me.

Another friend is Melissa. She lived literally 2 blocks away and was friends with me for a long time. She's the one who hooked me up with Jimmy. He was my first love. She introduced me to her next door neighbor, Amber who was my age, but she went to a different school. I know that the years we spent at Old Mill Park talking about boys and hanging out smoking our parents cigarettes was the best. I still remember how we used to talk about boys and all she'd talk about was Bobby. I'll give it to you, girl. Bobby was cute. She moved to Galveston, Texas sometime near her sophomore year. She was the only one who my dad thought was a bad seed. I dunno why. I haven't heard anything from her after that.

Jimmy was my first love and as far as I know I was his second. His mother hated me. I think she still does. Even after Jimmy and I broke up, he remained my confidant. Lately I haven't been checking in like I should. I doubt he's worried though. He knows how I am. Headstrong to the point of insanity. He knows I'm the one fish in the sea nobody can change. No matter what you do to me. I think he probably still thinks of me, but after me having kids, there's no hope for us. Even though we did make a pact in 10th grade that if we were single come the time I turned 30, we'd try again. I doubt now, that it would go very well. It might. I might be famous by then, LOL. He knows though, that he'll always have a piece of my heart.

I already wrote a post about the next one. Jenny. She and I were as close as good friends could get. She gave birth to her daughter right after my daughter turned 9 months. I helped her through her whole pregnancy, helped get her all the things she'd need, and for the first few months, I helped her take care of her. We weren't like, involved or anything, just super-close. I'm the one that hooked her up with the one man that her heart will ever truly belong to, Brice. He and Jenny were perfect, except when her mother got involved. I can't imagine how her mother is near happy with the man she ended up with as a result. All of that is listed in one of my older blogs entitled "Stupid Girls". Nonetheless, life tore us apart. I'm sure she wishes everyday that she didn't pick a horrible relationship over her friendship with me. I'm not about to rub that in her face though. That would be unfriendly. I will always be her friend, regardless. Should she so choose to leave him, I do know where and how she can get a hold of Brice. I have his APO.

Last, but nowhere near least is Jessi. She and I have been good friends since we met. I was living next door to her and pregnant with my son, Creid. She was due in March, I was due in May. Her son was born, February 3. My son was born, literally, one month later. She was the only person who I could talk to and ask advice about taking care of a baby. My mother was nowhere around and my father didn't care. She took me in some months later in the aftermath of the Jenny episode, because I didn't have any home. I'm not sure how I could ever repay that.

All of these friends of mine I clearly remember and they've played a vital role in teaching me things I'd never know otherwise. Love, Strength, Loyalty, Imagination, True Friendship. Y'all are all going to be famous, too. Your place is in the annals of time, in the "Special Thanks" page in my first published manuscript. I just hope they read it. They'll find that many of my characters are based on them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mother does not hate you. She just hates what you've done with your life.

Shannon said...

Very funny Jimmy, posting on here you butt-monkey!